What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 5 inch high explosive

frijoles108

Hello everyone,
Its been a while since i posted last, i came across this recently and couldn't figure it out for certain. I know it is british, it says 5 inch on the bottom in faded stampings. It measures a diameter of 5 inches, not 4.7 or 4.5 even closely, making me think that it is a later variant of high explosive shells for the 60 pounder gun also referred to in some manuals as a 5 inch gun from what I have seen. It is also obviously british by the broad arrows placed on the side with manufacturer initials. I cant tell who it is. Has a few other manufacturer stampings on the side, none in rotating band. Someone seems to have taken liberty of either coating it with copper paint or a chemical coating of copper. Haven't tried figuring how to remove that yet. Would love to hear input on what you guys think it is. From what i have seen the dimensions in diameter and rotating band match taller and earlier high explosive shells of this gun from a 1903 manual, so maybe this is a later shorter variant?
Also I would love some pointers on the fuze, or if anyone has one for sale i am looking for it, of course after the projectile is identified.
P.s. sorry for shiny glare of pictures, but its just a compromise I have to make for a well lit photo and the copper coating on the projectile.

Attachments

• Side pic 2.jpg
    Side pic 2.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 30
  • side pic 1.jpg
    side pic 1.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 49
  • manufacturer initials. 5 inch. .jpg
    manufacturer initials. 5 inch. .jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 38
  • base markings 2.jpg
    base markings 2.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 36
  • base markings 1.jpg
    base markings 1.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
It would appear the projectile you have is -
Shell, B.L. H.E. 5 inch. Howitzer, Light, Mark II(L), III(L) or IV(L)

The original shell weighed 50 lbs, the latter shells weighed 40 lbs, hence the inclusion of 'Light' in the nomenclature.

Mk. II & III are shown as using No. 100 fuze. The Mk. VI a No. 101 fuze.

TimG

Thank you tim! does anyone else have a example to compare? And also do you have the diagrams of my projectile?

Last edited: