What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 20x70b Becker Projectile (?)

Spaceinvader

Hello everyone,
Another item for ID, this time what seems to be a 20x70b Becker projectile, however I cannot ID the type exactly. It doesnt line up to any other Becker type projectiles I can find online.

It originally came to my friend in a "trench art" display, with 3 of these projectiles screwed together in a stack. He took them apart, and they all are identical, with markings, shape and construction. They are hollow with what seems to be a separate base on them but they cannot be removed (atleast by hand). Possible AP-HE projectile?

The markings are identical across the 3, with what looks like the letter "N" on the side, a weird squiggle, a crown on the drive band with something underneath and a crown on the base as well with the number "1" under it.

Any ideas?

Best Regards,
Rhys

Attachments

• 20mm Becker Seperated 1.jpg
    20mm Becker Seperated 1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20mm Becker Assembly.jpg
    20mm Becker Assembly.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20mm Becker Together.jpg
    20mm Becker Together.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20mm Becker Markings N.jpg
    20mm Becker Markings N.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20mm Becker Marking 2.jpg
    20mm Becker Marking 2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20mm Becker Marking.jpg
    20mm Becker Marking.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20mm Becker Marking 3.jpg
    20mm Becker Marking 3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20mm Becker Drive Band Marking.jpg
    20mm Becker Drive Band Marking.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 40
They look like the type considered as AP projectiles. I have currently 1, have had others just like it. There are at least 3 other kinds, I have 2 of the 3 others. They don"t turn up very often in the US.

Is it normal for this projectile not to have a cannelure for crimping in to the cartridge

This is a 2cm Becker AP-T Projectile.
I have the same, but without baseplug.
There were two different AP-T projectiles.
On the drawings you can see the differences.
The drawings are from a good friend, Jacob Lippert (RIP).

Attachments

• Zuschneiden.jpg
    Zuschneiden.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Zuschneiden_2.jpg
    Zuschneiden_2.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Zuschneiden_3.jpg
    Zuschneiden_3.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Zuschneiden_4.jpg
    Zuschneiden_4.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Zuschneiden_5.jpg
    Zuschneiden_5.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Zuschneiden_6.jpg
    Zuschneiden_6.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 24
That certainly looks to be it, however these dont seem to have the ever so slight bulged tip on them, but are completely straight walled unlike the in photos Rigby provided (thank you very much!) that both have bulged tips. The ogive is also very short as well. Is this simply a manufacturing difference or is it a different projectile entirely?

Also how exactly does the tracer work on these projectiles? The base plate does not remove easily and there is no obvious tracer cavity.

Last edited:
I still have a 2cm Becker tracer projectile. This also has only a small hole in the base plug

Attachments

• Zuschneiden.jpg
    Zuschneiden.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Zuschneiden_2.jpg
    Zuschneiden_2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Zuschneiden_3.jpg
    Zuschneiden_3.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Zuschneiden_4.jpg
    Zuschneiden_4.jpg