What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 mm Bofors Shell and Case ID

Aden55

Can anyone help confirm or add to the info I have about this 1942 40mm Bofors shell and case? Are the shell and case a match, and are they British or US? Thanks.40mm_shell_1942.jpg

Attachments

• 40mm_shell_1942_2.jpg
    40mm_shell_1942_2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
The cartridge case is U.S. Army. I've never seen the projectile color code before, but it isn't standard British or U.S.

Thanks HAZORD. I have a replica resin shell painted up with very Resin 2.jpgDSC00004.jpgsimilar markings, this replica was obviously cast from a real shell. Here's photos of the replica and the markings on the replica. Can anyone identify what this replica shell is supposed to represent from its markings, is it US or British? Thanks again.

The Broad Arrow on the resin projo would make it British Commonwealth.

Yes, the resin shell is a British Mk 1T copy and JMB is the maker. But that black/red paint scheme is not something I've seen on any British Bofors shell.

Thanks guys I do appreciate your help. Is there any reference website with photos of Bofors shell markings as I'd like to paint up my resin shell. BTW, I may have resin copies of this shell for sale if anyone is interested.

Here is a picture of my collection of British WW2 Bofors rounds, they may be of some interest to you.
Best Weasel.

UK Bofors Group.jpg

Thanks for the link Weasel and the photo your rounds are very nice indeed. I'll post a photo of my rounds in due course.