What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

May anyone explain this?

The title is misleading. Reporters ! The text says, that the pilot fired his rotary 20mm cannon and damaged it so badly, that the plane was also damaged by fragments.

As one can see it starts with a deep dent at the side of the gun that decreases to forward. As it is under the white Arrow and in the line of the gun port/ barrel I can only imagine the 20mm RRR practice rounds or the FAP rounds broke up prematurely. HE rounds would have made a lot of small holes and as far as I know the dutch air force only uses RRR (Reduce Ricochet Risc) practice ammo and FAP ammo these days as this leaves no duds and is less environmetal poluting.
I doubt if this can be archieced by making a sharp left turn while firing the gun.....
Not aligning the gun propperly or not tightening the gun in it's frame would be another possibillity.

Last edited:
I can't see any damage in that photo. It's possibly a stock photo, not the actual aircraft involved. It may be possible HE rounds exploded close to the aircraft and it picked up shrapnel in the engine intake. Not a very good report.

Millsman,

The damage is shown in the twitter photo in the article, not the main photo.