What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Sectioned 1.5" Signal Cartridges.

ron3350

I show four Australian factory sectioned 1.5" signal flares. Loaded by ME (inert) and dated 1954. Scarce items.
Brown Smoke Puff Mk3T.
G.R 16. Red and Yellow Stars with Yellow Tracer.
Green and Red Star.
Double Green Star.

Sectioned Wads.jpgSectioned Side View.jpgSectioned View.jpg

Very interesting to see them sectioned. These type of cartridges are very difficult to cut straight.
Regards, DJH

Here is an updated photo after finding a Yellow and a Red factory sectioned flare from the same series.
All Australian filled at ME Factory, Maribyrnong, Vic in 1954.
The flare filler part is possibly wood and not flare compound that would weep and spoil the cartridges if exposed to the air.

Red. 8/54. Mk7T.
Yellow. 9/54. Mk4T
Green/Green. 8/54. Mk3T
GR16. 8/54. Mk1T
Green/Red. 8/54. Mk3T
Brown Smoke Puff. 8/54. Mk3T
1.5" Australian Flares a.jpg1.5" Australian Flares b.jpg1.5" Australian Flares c.jpeg

Hi Ron, there all very nice, never seen a British sectioned flare in my collecting career! Cheers Tig.

Thanks tigbrand.
I also did not know if Australia made inert flare cartridges until I found these examples.
The original 4 came from a display that was dismantled and I was lucky to get them and a few artillery sectioned items: artillery, mines, Jap mortar circa 1975.
I have never seen 1"sectioned flares so wonder if they exist? These items are really scarce it seems. I was lucky.

There used to be various bits around in the UK a few years ago that came from a Royal ordnance display, all very nice. I think you were lucky!