What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Mystery Torpedo Parts

SimonBrown

Premium Member
Once more, we are drawing on the collective knowledge to help us ID a few more torpedo parts from the garage that keeps giving...

First up, I believe this to be a gyroscope mounting. Its stamped "Mk1 Mod 3":

SBrown-20190323-0003.jpg

And next we have a mechanism that appears to be a means to set depth or distance to run:

SBrown-20190323-0004.jpg

There are some stamps on this - if anyone needs to see the other side of either, or just needs more photos, please ask.

Both objects will be advertised for sale soon. If anyone desperately needs either/both for their collection then feel free to PM me. We do want these to go to a good home, with all the funds raised going towards offsetting some of the costs of investigating the Hercules C-130 crash site in the English Channel.

Simon,

The gyro mounting looks familiar to a MKVIII one - here are some photos from the Sydney Maritime Museum MK VIII display where key components were extended outside of the torpedo including the gryo. You can spot the similarities!

It will make a nice match with your CCR pistol posted prior.
Cheers
Drew

BTW - perhaps post a photo of the other side.

Attachments

• IMAG4315a.jpg
    IMAG4315a.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG4314a.jpg
    IMAG4314a.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 19
Simon,

The gyro mounting looks familiar to a MKVIII one - here are some photos from the Sydney Maritime Museum MK VIII display where key components were extended outside of the torpedo including the gryo. You can spot the similarities!

It will make a nice match with your CCR pistol posted prior.

BTW - perhaps post a photo of the other side.

It does indeed look a close match - much appreciated Drew. I will get some more photos of it from the other side. Its such a lovely object I am tempted to scan it into a 3D model...