What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" post war aircraft rocket

tigbrand

Premium Member
Looking for any info on this rocket? Have searched the forum to no avail. I seem to have gathered 3 x fuzes, a 60's AP head and a 50's HES head! Info is hard to find. Cheers Tig

2" Rocket a.jpg2" Rocket b.jpg2" Rocket c.jpgHi tigbrand
I just purchased a Postwar 2" British rocket which may be the one you ask for information. I also have no information on this.
It is 1220mm overall (48") and 51.3mm motor diameter and 52mm head diameter. The connector for head and motor is missing. PRF No 942 fuze.
Motor is marked: MTR RKT. A/C. 2IN. No3. Mk2. LXR. 2/68.
I show the photos from the seller to save me the trouble. Hope this helps you and someone has some manuals with information. Ron.

I've not been able to find very much info about these rockets.
The motors come in brown or green and locally at least they were employed by Canberras and fired from 36 round launchers mounted under the wings.

Interesting, i have never heard them being used form helicopters, the pods are quite large.They generally had a rounded fairing over the front, but that apparently was dependent on the loads or mission being flown.
They were also used by the Royal Navy into the '70s, from Sea Vixen.

Below IWM image, showing load up of 2" rkts and the pod/launcher.
Canberrs rkts.large_000000.jpg

I recall seeing a film on these rockets and their loading. To test the circuits, after they are loaded in the pod, they would stand in front of the launcher and do the check from there. seemed a bit risky!

RNZAF Canberra load.image RNZAF Official.
RNZAF Canberra load..jpg

Last edited:
Great Info and pics chaps, thanks very much. It says on Wikepedia they were tested with helicopters around 1970 but not adopted. Apparently the Black AP head shown in my pics was tested against Centurion tanks but not effective. I'm after a rocket body and motor now Ron! Cheers tig.

ordnance markings 1964 448.jpgordnance markings 1964 447.jpgHi Tig. I found these from Ordnance markings 1964. They show 2" and 3" rocket heads and motors. I had a black practice head like yours, many years ago. Hope they help, cheers, Tony.

Cheers for That Tony, good pictures. There were 2 of the AP heads at Malvern. I don't expect I will find anything else for a while. Hopefully see you at Denmead for a chat,Cheers Tig.

Thanks Harry for the pictures, are there any more loadings for this rocket? If not i don't have many to find,just a rocket body and fins. cheers Tig:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hi Tig
There is a base fuse HE with a flat nose plug, let me know you email address & i'll send you a copy of the samples page that show 2" rockets
All the best
Harry