What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 Inch Nordenfelt case

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, Picked this nice case up today a 1 Inch Nordenfelt "Cartridge Aiming Rifle 1 inch Electric Cordite Mark I", having been reloaded from what were originally "Cartridge Aiming Rifle 1 inch Electric Mark IV (M)", which was loaded with black powder.The Cordite Mark I was introduced in June 1913 and served throughout the war until the introduction of the Mark II with an improved electric primer in the late 1920s.It had a charge of 160 grains of Size 3 cordite and a velocity of 1080 fps at 240 feet from the muzzle.
Electric primed Aiming Rifle rounds were made for use with naval guns and some coastal artillery guns which had electric ignition. Those designed to be used by the army used percussion primers to match the ignition system of the guns.
There were two manufacturers of electric primers for the Aimimg Rifle rounds, the Morris Patent Tube Company and Kings Norton Metals Co. The rounds were marked "M" or "KN" depending on the type of primer fitted.
The original headstamp has been barred out and the new "I C" added, plus the dot to indicate a reload.
All info i found was from the late TonyE. are the projectiles hard to find ?
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 1Inch Nordenfelt.jpg
    1Inch Nordenfelt.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 33
  • 1Inch Nordenfelt hs.jpg
    1Inch Nordenfelt hs.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Hi Andy,
Nice case, they seem few and far between these days.
Best Weasel

the lead projectiles do come up sometimes, I've had a few that have been fired but mainly without the copper gas check that was used with cordite but put in the case they look the same.

These cases can not really be referred to as 1" Nordenfelt as the Nordenfelt was obsolete by the time they were in use.

As far as I know, all British Nordenfelt cases were dated, usually in the late 1800s.

the lead projectiles do come up sometimes, I've had a few that have been fired but mainly without the copper gas check that was used with cordite but put in the case they look the same.

Thanks Mate, it must be my lucky day as a friend has found me a lead projectile with gas check.
Cheers
Andy

These cases can not really be referred to as 1" Nordenfelt as the Nordenfelt was obsolete by the time they were in use.

As far as I know, all British Nordenfelt cases were dated, usually in the late 1800s.

Yes you are right it should be "Cartridge Aiming Rifle 1 inch Electric Mark IV (M)"