What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 75mm Shrapnel Shell - complete- painted-inked.

I had to have this one, I have never seen one complete. Fuze pristine and disassembles, Fuze protector ( it fits onto the projectile nose with the fuze removed sealing the contents- for shipping?) has a crack, Case-has primer and primer tube. Projectile-a dark reddish brown with alittle black at nose, inked 75G-H, pristine driving band, with pusher tube.
Markings: Fuze, "Model 1907M 73 3 51 15, Lot 4324 18".
Brass protector, " Model 1907M, Lot xxxx".
Case headstamps, " crossed cannon, 781 ACCO 6 3, Am lot 781-89H 75MM GUN".
Projectile, Black inked " 75G-H",large flaming bomb " U 291", small flaming bomb "35". Base has large flaming bomb.
Posted for reference and comments. Also, the body lathe turning marks crisp, larger than the other one I have.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I forgot to mention I purchased it from EBay, how the eBay Nazis missed this one is puzzling, no other bidders, listed under Korean War era, that may have had something to do with it.

Here it is assembled, with a coat of Renaissance wax applied.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 57
I had noticed the original black ink mark is " 75G-H". I was wondering what that inking would mean as all I have seen on original shells is "75G". I assume the "-H" would mean applicable also to howitzer? Was the 75mm gun ammo interchangeable with a 75mm howitzer? I have no idea about WW1 howitzers or even if we used them in WW1? All thoughts appreciated.