What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh From The Car Boot FK 38 7.5 cm cases

doppz92

Premium Member
Just found these this morning, not sure how rare they are but definately the first time I see one (let alone 2)
Headstamp says they are 75 mm C/34 which is FK 38 7.5cm export for Brasil except they apparently never made it there.
Made of brass, primer is dated 1940, makers mark which is Krupp I think and lot 8 and 2, cases are 1939 dated and lot 2 and 3.

IMG_3937.JPGIMG_3943.JPGIMG_3932.JPGIMG_3930.JPGIMG_3927.JPGIMG_3934.JPGIMG_3944.JPG

And now questions:

The only info I found on the internet was that 64 guns were delivered before the war, so I assume these cases were made in order to be delivered with the guns? However, the primers are 1940 dated, so these were loaded afterwards? What's weird is they don't have any reception mark (Waffenamt). Could they be left overs that were finally loaded after 1942 when a further 80 guns were delivered to the German Army?

These 80 guns delivered in 1942: where have seen service? Western Front, Atlantic Wall? or Eastern Front?

How many shells were generaly produced in a "lot"? 10,000?

And last but not least, does any member have any pictures or drawings of the complete round and / or the projo?

Thanks.

Frank

The gun is described in Waffenrevue No.71
Number of service pieces (80) is the same there and in Senger u Etterlins book.

Bob

Attachments

• Anhang 1.jpg
    Anhang 1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 45
Thanks Bob, so the projos appear to be the same ones as the KwK40 and 42?

No, the HE projectile for your case is a completely different than the 7,5 cm Sprgr 34 used in the KwK40.
Lacking the crimp groove your cases are for the 7,5 cm Sprgr L/4,8. The projectile could be removed and the charge changed (Aufsteckmunition).
The projectile has a 50x3 thread for the regular AZ 23 fuze.
These rounds were substituted by fixed ammunition with projectile crimped to the case (HE, HEAT and TP(HE)

Bob

Thanks Bob, it makes sense. Can I push my luck and ask if you have a picture or a drawing of the 7,5 cm Sprgr L/4,8? Is this the same as the WW2 7,5 cm German Infantry Gun lJG18 type?

The best picture is actualy that I have posted before. It is from HDv 119/144- Range tables for FK38
Here is a pic from HDv 481/15 - manual of ammunition for FK38.
Ammunition for the LeIG is different than for the Le FK 38.

IMHO the closest projectile (except the caliber) would be the 7,7 cm F.K.Gr.
Anyone has friends in Brasil?

Bob

Attachments

• 7,5 cm Sprgr L4,8 .jpg
    7,5 cm Sprgr L4,8 .jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Hi Alpini, yes, spot on, exactly 399mm, just checked again. What was it you were thinking of?

If anyone has a projo for sale, please pm me. No big deal if there's no fuze, I have spares.

Here a picture of the cartridge next to the K.Gr.Patr. rot KPS and a picture of the headstamps. I can't provide you with more detailed photo's because I don't own these cartridges anymore.
One gun remains in the collection of the Dutch Military Museum.

Attachments

• 7,5 cm FK 38 cartr.jpg
    7,5 cm FK 38 cartr.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 7,5 cm FK 38 hdst.jpg
    7,5 cm FK 38 hdst.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 42
  • legermuseumkrupp75mm.jpg
    legermuseumkrupp75mm.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: