What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dutch 37x94R case

Vasco Da Gama

I have re-learnt an old lesson with this case, always turn them over rather than walking past things you think are familiar! Luckily I did turn it over, mostly out of idle curiosity and was surprised to see Dutch base markings and a late date 1935. I have not come across a Dutch Pom-Pom case before. I am surprised at the date, 1935 does seem late for this weapon but I guess the gun may have still been in service as part of fortress defences, I could not find a reference to the Dutch using tanks such as the Renault FT17. Glad to be educated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 75
These shellcases are becomming scarce over here too in Holland.
Here some pictures of the dutch cartridge as a cutaway model, the 3,7cm Gatling gun as used by the dutch navy and the 3,78cm Sloepenkanon (longboat gun)
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - Nederlandse 37 mm brisantgranaat voor  sloepenkanon.JPG
    01 - Nederlandse 37 mm brisantgranaat voor sloepenkanon.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Dutch 3,7cm Gatling gun.jpg
    Dutch 3,7cm Gatling gun.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 02 - 3,7 cm sloepenkanon.JPG
    02 - 3,7 cm sloepenkanon.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 42
Ps , the Dutch army had 1 (one) Renault Ft17 tank in 1940 and as far as I know it had a cupola with a machine gun. I'm quite shure the knowledge the Dutch army had one tank may have led to some hesitation in the German general staff if it was wise to invade the Netherlands in 1940, but they gathered courage and pressed on anyway.
Here a picture of the only Dutch pre 1940 tank in the National military museum in Soesterberg

Attachments

• Renault Ft17.jpg
    Renault Ft17.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 33
When I first had the chance to inspect an FT17 I was struck by how small it is. I got the impression that you didn't get in it, but put it on like a suit of armour!

It was quite "ergonomic":shot:. The gunner was standing up and the driver was sitting in a "seat" made of two fabric belts. Behind you a roaring engine with the heat and fumes. It makes you wonder what was the greater danger; the enemy or your own tank.

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 31
Very hard to find case. These are most likely used as coastal/navy sub-caliber.

These cases were produced up to 1940. Barrels of obsolete Dutch Navy guns were taken over by the Dutch Army and turned into sub-calibers for their coastal guns. The official Army designation was "Oefeningskanonnen van 4 No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3"
No. 1 was the sub-caliber for the 17 cm guns, No. 2 for the 12 cm L/40 guns and No. 3 for the 15 cm L/40 guns. An inert TP projectile was developped for these sub-calibers.
The drawings shown are from 1938.

Attachments

• patr huls van 4.jpg
    patr huls van 4.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Oefenings bk gr patr van 4.jpg
    Oefenings bk gr patr van 4.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Oefenings bk gr van 4 -2.jpg
    Oefenings bk gr van 4 -2.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 29