What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 18pdr shrapnel shell Australian made?

Darkman

Rod Bellars here in Victoria has this nice unfired WW1 Mk V 18 pdr shrapnel shell (it's got a plug fitted in the fuze adapter).
I's marked:

QF 18 PR
V
F. S.
V R

Now Australia made some (only about 15,000) 18 pdr shells in WW1 due to a shortage in 1915/16. I have seen a few examples and have one myself, but I've only seen HE shells so far. Production was wound up in May/June 1916 and all factories were asked to cease production by 30 June 1916.

This shell is dated 1.8.16 and has a maker stamp of VR with a broad arrow in between. Perhaps production wasn't halted until just over a month later?

Given that this shell is unfired and was found in Australia, could VR be for Victorian Railways and this is an Australian shell? Railway workshops were common WW2 era war production factories.

Would love to get a positive ID on this being Australian made.

Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• _VR 18 pdr Rod Bellars 24.04.19 a.jpg
    _VR 18 pdr Rod Bellars 24.04.19 a.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 115
  • _VR 18 pdr Rod Bellars 24.04.19.jpg
    _VR 18 pdr Rod Bellars 24.04.19.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 79
Can't answer that, but there looks to be a serious amount of ordnance in the background! Tig

Would really like to confirm that this is an Australian shell and maker VR is Victorian Railways Workshops.