What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German HS 404

pysall

Premium Member
Gentlemen,
some time ago - maybe years - I recall someone posting a picture of a Hispano Suiza HS 404 case, possibly in steel, with German markings. I have searched hi and lo but I cannot find reference to it on the BOCN website. Maybe I got the wrong forum for which I apologise in advance. Can any of you help with this elusive bit of information please?
Thanks

Yes. These are very rare, but photographs of an example were posted in the ECRA Bulletin maybe a year ago. The steel case was brown lacquered.

Tony,
so it was not one of "yours"?. Do you per-chance know where/how to find the post?

Well, this one took me a long search to find, as it was much longer ago than I thought (funny how time accelerates with age!). It was posted in the December 2013 issue 584 of the ECRA Bulletin, with the following text:

The photos show a steel-cased Hispano 20 x 110 round made during WW2 by Märkisches Walzwerk G.m.b.H. of Strausberg Bez. Potsdam, next to a brass-cased example of the round. The customer for this manufacture is unknown, but Germany acquired numerous examples of the Hispano-Suiza HS 404 cannon after the fall of France, putting some into service and passing others on to allied nations.

German HS 404_Fotor.jpgGerman HS 404 1.jpeg

Tony,
you are a star! as you say, time accelerates with age & I had stopped looking back after the last 3 years. Your Stirling efforts are much appreciated!