What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found metal detecting in Germany - Can anyone ID these please?

3pinplug

Hi all,

I found about 8 of these lids all close together when metal detecting in Germany, I have tried searching google but nothing seems to look like them. They are 12.5cm in diameter, have a handle on the top and two lugs underneath, they look as if they "twist lock" onto something.
Has anyone seen any thing like this before or can even identify them?
Many Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• lid1.jpg
    lid1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 74
  • lid2.jpg
    lid2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 72
  • lid3.jpg
    lid3.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 62
  • lid4.jpg
    lid4.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 56
Might be lids for UK mortarbomb tubes.
These, or similar lids, were among the most prolific finds during my younger days strolls along the Groesbeek heights east/southeast of Nijmegen.

Greetz, Menno.

Thanks menno for the info, obviously brought back some good memories there!
I have had a look at mortar ones and they have more of a rim on the caps so not sure it's for a mortar, hoping i can determine what these are as found a number of ghem.
thanks
mark

Hi all

Tried some gentle cleaning of item to see if any marks or anything on it after reading this as a recommendation on the forum, nothing visible but the item appears to have some colour to it, a sandy / yellow colour.
Anyone any suggestions?, I followed up on the mortar possibility but the lids I could find online appear to be a different shape. Hoping someone recognises what these are.
Thanks
Mark
http://ibb.co/2trCSSP

Thankyou for the suggestion kiwieod, had a look at the piat but my lids don’t have a rim on them and don’t push over the tube. Mine are a twist to lock so the item it fits to needs to have some sort of mechanism to lock the lugs to. Really puzzling what these are as they definitely look piat or mortar related but are the wrong style.