What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about 3,7 cm KwK and 5 cm KwK

gerbenvh

Hello all,

This might be a stupid question, but i couldn't find a definitive answer online:

As i've read on wikipedia and various other sites, the 3,7 KwK 36 and 5 cm KwK 39 where basically the same cannons as the 3,7 Pak and the 5 cm Pak. (please correct me if i'm wrong)

Does this mean that the 3,7 KwK fired the same rounds as the 3,7 Pak? (and ofcourse the same question for the 5 cm)
Did they produce different shell casings with a KwK stamp, or where all the casings stamped with Pak?

Thanks in advance!

You are correct. 3,7 cm Pak and KwK cases are the same - always marked Pak (Except for ink stamp on the side showing KwK - plus with electric primer). Pak 50mm and KwK 39 cases are the same - always marked Pak (except for ink stamp on the side showing KwK - plus with electric primer).

Just to clarify - the fact that the Pak guns used percussion priming while the KwK used electric meant that the ammo was not interchangeable, so in practical terms they did not use the same ammo.

The same applied to the 8,8cm L/56 Flak and KwK guns.

Would it be correct to assume the primer is always fitted at factory then rather than in the field.

Ive seen painted KWK stamp on cases thats covering the base and primer, so the primer was clearly installed before factory painting, and theres obvious requirement to keep the propellant in good condition, but were they EVER changed in the field?

Consider that the ink stamp on the side of the case in each case would have "KwK" or "Pak 38". I also offer that they travelled in boxes in with external white paint showing "Pak 38", and the internal labels in the boxes also were also marked with "Pak 38". All of this was done at the factory. I do not see how they would have gone about replacing primers in the field.

Here are two German 37mm cases with "3,7 CM KWK" stamped at the top.

Attachments

• German 37mm KwK cases.jpg
    German 37mm KwK cases.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 84
Here is another example of a 37mm KwK marked case.

Attachments

• 37mm kwk marked case.jpg
    37mm kwk marked case.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 38
As you can see in the attached tables, each ammunition type had a code name to be used in the supply order/request.
It would not be wise to send via radio a request for 8 cm mortar rounds so the enemy would know the range and know how close he can advance to the positions.

It can be seen that the codes are different for Pak and KwK ammo.
I am not sure how often the codes changed.

From these tables you can see what types of ammo were available.

Source of the tables is here:
http://www.germandocsinrussia.org

Bob

Attachments

• 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: