What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 Pdr Identification

Possibly Canadian but is it a broad arrow within a C on the base. I'm not sure your black texter over-writing of the lettering helps all that much. It may be better to just take clear photos in daylight. For example I think the maker is ND Co. not just ND, and the mark number of the shell will be in roman numerals not "T". Also the manufacture date will be at the bottom closest to the driveband and will usually be in the format DD.MM.YY

Possibly Canadian but is it a broad arrow within a C on the base. I'm not sure your black texter over-writing of the lettering helps all that much. It may be better to just take clear photos in daylight. For example I think the maker is ND Co. not just ND, and the mark number of the shell will be in roman numerals not "T". Also the manufacture date will be at the bottom closest to the driveband and will usually be in the format DD.MM.YY

Thank you Darkman!

I think you nailed it. If I use my imagination a little. it is stamped ND Co. I don't think that's a broad arrow, so it must be Canadian. Next question, what fuze and case do I need?

A Canadian shell would be signified if it does have a broad arrow inside a C. The fuze for an 18 pdr shrapnel is a No. 80 Time and Percussion, but exactly which mark of fuze depends on the mark of the shell and the manufacture date - there were numerous mark versions of the No. 80. The case is a standard one for 18 pdrs and quite common.

A Canadian shell would be signified if it does have a broad arrow inside a C. The fuze for an 18 pdr shrapnel is a No. 80 Time and Percussion, but exactly which mark of fuze depends on the mark of the shell and the manufacture date - there were numerous mark versions of the No. 80. The case is a standard one for 18 pdrs and quite common.

I guess it's narrowed down to a Canadian projectile then. I'll have to get a case for it and maybe a fuze. The fuze that is in it is a No. 85 I. If I'm going to complete it, I want to complete it right. I've bought many "Stuffers" in my time...…………….

It does appear to have a broad arrow inside the letter C. It looks like the letter A, but it has to be a Broad Arrow. There is a bomb symbol on the bottom also.

7.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Sorry, No. 85 Mk I fuze is also correct for an 18 pdr shell, but again depending on which mark and year of shell. I think No. 85s were used from about 1915 to 1917 when the improved all-brass No. 80 Mk VI and VII models were introduced. I believe the broad arrow within a C and inside an outer oval indicates Canadian acceptance of the shell and steel.