What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 2cm projectile question

Weasel

Premium Member
I have a question about the variations of Minengeschoss projectiles for the MG151/20 I have seen an MX marked body bigger than the standard "M" and have also seen a drawing of one marked MH but with no information about if it ever entered service or even experimental use.
Does anyone have any info they can add or pictures of examples if anyone has one.
Thanks in advance Weasel

Hi,
I don't know of the "MH" version.
I have the standard "MX" with both the ZZ1505 fitted as well as the ZZ1509A. I also have the "wide" diving band version but there are a few more out there with differing body-shapes to find.... but as time goes on it is becoming increasingly difficult.
If you are interested, the one on the left is up for grabs, PM me.IMG_1210 (2).jpg

Hi Pysall,
Thank you for your reply, you have some very nice MX rounds there, i have not added one to my collection yet but maybe one day. Its interesting to see a ZZ1509a another fuze to keep an eye out for, was that developed for use on the MX only ? i dont think i have seen it fitted to any other M projectiles before.
Best Weasel.

I have just checked... according to our German fuse guru in the U.S (Erhard K) he states that it - the 1509A - was used on the "MX" projectiles "u.A" meaning that it is possible to find it associated with other 2cm or 3cm munitions. Regards pysall

Thanks for your reply, I have seen the that type of Fuze used on other Minen shells and a dummy one on a practice Minen round but not seen a ZZ1509A used anywhere until your post. I don't doubt the info at all and would be interested to see if any other German 2cm collectors have any in their collections.
Best Weasel.

Hi Sgbdr and thehairbarebunch,
Thanks for the links to those docs, and great picture of the MX, i really need to keep my eye open for one of those. I read that towards the end of the war 100,000 round were sent to Italy, so in theory there should be a one or two to find.
In reference to my initial question about the MH variant, i have just look at the documents linked to by Sgbdr and found the following. Thank you all who have replied. Best Weasel
MH.png
The translated text is below,

Hollow-charge grenades The thin-walled projectile shell (1)
of the M-Gsch. X (see there) is provided with a zinc dome (8)
and a steel insert (9) and contains a nitropenta charge (2).
The cylindrical projectile pin (3) is provided with a choke-groove (4)
It contains in an igniter holder (11) an unknown bottom igniter (10),
the impact on the 15 mm detonator (6) in the detonator holder (7)
Ignition should initiate. The projectile was only tested.
The same setup was, also unsuccessful, also for 3 cm gun ammunition proposed