What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rapier wind tunnel models ????

Mag

Hello Folks
A friend of mine got these recently at an auction in Leicestershire and hasnt a clue what they are,He has been told they 'may' be high velocity missiles and these are test models for wind tunnels but to me the larger of the two resembles a rapier ,Both are made of metal with connection points for several wires on both .They may have come from Brush in Loughborough but thats guesswork also the tray they came in has the legend ''swallow Truck'' could that have been a code name ?
Any ideas or thoughts most gratefully received
Tia

Resized_20190511_122430.jpgResized_20190511_122233.jpg

The one with the square-looking wings more resembles Malkara (pre Rapier, perhaps 1950s); the other looks a bit more like Thunderbird / Bloodhound (again 1950s or thereabouts)than Rapier. Perhaps a search on those might help to guide you.

Hi Ammotechxt
Thank you for the info, the names you mention we hadn't come across before so definitely a new avenue to go down ,as an aside his wife hates them and refuses to touch them due to the edges being "like knives"

Malkara had a very blunt nose and the wings had swept leading edges. The model does not look like a Malkara to me.

The model on the left looks more like a Thunderbird than a Bloodhound. Thunderbird has a central sustainer rocket motor, while the Bloodhound has a pair of ramjets as sustainers. The ramjets are mounted either side of the central body.