What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade inkwell question

zephyr4

I have this ww1 grenade and someone has asked if its ok to post to the US.

Thanks for any help z4.

Attachments

• 20190509_193753.jpg
    20190509_193753.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 43
It may arrive.... it may simply dissapear. It's allways a gamble. So, if it's higly valuable I would refrain from sending it to the US of A. If it's worth only a few pound you could take the risc.
Regards, DJH

I would dismantle it into three pieces, plus the screw / base plug and declare it on the customs for as antique novelty inkwell (dismantled). It's still pot luck, but at least it's honest.

It may arrive.... it may simply dissapear. It's allways a gamble. So, if it's higly valuable I would refrain from sending it to the US of A. If it's worth only a few pound you could take the risc.
Regards, DJH

They normally sell for between £80 and £120 in the UK, depending upon completeness.

I would submit that the key to success is to not use Royal Mail. Use a private courier. My Hermes via Landmark seems to be the most successful at getting such items to the US. They show up in New York State where they are transferred to the US Post office for delivery. I have lost nothing going this route.