What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British No.70 Grenade Poster

roller63

Premium Member
I bought this poster recently. It's a training poster for the No.70 Grenade. It's dated 1946. I was surprised to see it because the Grenade doesn't seem to feature in the more common manuals of the period. I know it was used in limited numbers towards the end of WW2. It has been folded and doesn't have any pin marks, so I believe it may not have been put up on a wall.
For those interested it's Weapon Training Poster No.4 code No. 7137.
In very small print at the bottom : C.B.H 12220 - Wt 49942 - Dd. 9728 - 6000 - 8/46 DSC00190.jpg

6/45 Wasnt there a plan afoot in the dim and distant for this grenade to replace the 36? I have read somewhere[dangerous thing to say said:
that this was because of problems using the 36 against the japs in jungle warfare that the 36 would often bounce off trees and roll back to the thrower before exploding. It would also fit into a smaller grenade launcher cup too.

Andy

View attachment 152459
Wasnt threre a plan afoot to replace the 35 with this gren?

Wasnt threre a plan afoot to replace the 35 with this gren?

Yes Andy. As the quote states the 36 war prone to rolling back down a hill at the thrower. Also the Army had a long standing complaint against the Mills that the radius for shrapnel was too big.

I thought the 2" cup was cancelled before WW2 though.

The Mk 2 was not introduced until Nov 1946, however it is stated "Although not formally introduced until 1946, a number of these grenades were manufactured in 1945 and issued to units in Burma for extended trial"

The introduction of the Mk 3 was not announced. The difference between the Mk 2 & 3 is the filling plug was eliminated.

Both Marks declared obsolete March 1956.

The grenade would have been too small to be used in the 2" Discharger Cup, were it still in service.

TimG