What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian Surrender Leaflets Mortar Shell

doppz92

Premium Member
I saw this in the Seelow Heights Museum, it's obviously a mortar shell designed for surrender leaflets, calibre seems to be 81mm (only a guesstimate) but what strikes me is the fuze. This body is heavily pitted and was recovered from the ground not that long ago, however, the fuze is in pristine condition and doesn't seem to be right. It looks like a WW1 time fuze for the 76.2 shrapnel shells. Can someone educate me? And last but not least, what's the cone on the last picture, it looks like it's got a driving band?

IMG_4280.JPGIMG_4278.JPGIMG_4283.JPG

Doppz92 here you are

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• 82 mm Propaganda.jpg
    82 mm Propaganda.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 35
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 24
The fuze designation is OM 82. Unlike shrapnel fuzes it has no impact mechanism.
The cone is a fuze cover as can be seen on Chrises pictures.
The shape of the cover is the same for T-3 and T-5 fuzes.
If the fuze was under the cover it could be in a better shape than the steel of the body.
Bob

Last edited:
Chris, Bob, thank you very much! That's what I really like with ordnance, subject is so vast, you find new things every day. DoppZ92.