What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1916 Rubber training Mills No 5 grenade.

gothica7

Premium Member
DSCN0738.jpgODSCN0739.jpgDSCN0740.jpgDSCN0741.jpg

Over 10 years ago I bought this RUBBER No 5 dummy practice throwing grenade. Made of black rubber with a heavy metal core and luckily in fantastic condition with virtually no damage.It most certainly is not a film prop as it would cost far too much to make with a metal centre and would usually be solid rubber or made from resin and well painted with all the correct colours for a live grenade.This one is almost an exact replica of a live grenade but has a rather long pin. There is an identical but worn example on the Mills grenade Website.Very often the rubber has gone soft and jelly like from being left in the sun. Its amazing that this one has survived so well being well over 100 years old

Andy

Remarkable item. But not an exact replica.

I could not help notice that the front is a No 5 ( or No 23 Mk I or Mk II) and the back a No 36 (or 23 Mk III). The one on Dave's website does seem to have the same hybrid shoulders as well.

Thanks for showing us Andy

Andy . I would say you are right & they were produced as actual practice grenades . I've been fortunate in having had several of them over the years & once had a heavily damaged one that I split open . Inside was a rough phos./bronze ball as a weight but I assume they would have used any metal of a suitable size & weight that came to hand at the time of manufacture . Thanks for showing it . Mike .

Thanks both John and Mike, yes it is rather heavy in fact more so than the real thing and I also understood they had some sort of phosphor bronze centre and think it was meant to be a copy of a no5. from looking at it closely, it dosnt look quite right for a set of 36 lugs. the back is too straight and ime sure this was because of the need to make a simple mold from which to make them.An interesting item.

Andy

i dont think we will ever know John, but that its done well for a bit of rubber 100 years old and ime very pleased to have it.

Andy

I must say that the rubber is in exceptional condition. When you consider how the rubber of WW2 gas masks rots, to look so good after 100 years is amazing. I've been trying to think of other 100 year old rubber items and can only think of car and bicycle tyres. Often they are simply a mass of age cracks.

Andy

Another thing that supports my 1917 date is the shape of the moulded baseplug. That type didn't exist in 1916.

John