What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 303 MG Blank?

oldshotandshell

IMG_20190522_081022.jpg IMG_20190522_080955.jpg

I believe that the empty cartridge case next to the standard 303 case above may be a British 303 Machine Gun blank but I can only find reference to this type of cartridge having straight sides to the reduced front end. Can anyone please confirm the identification? Many thanks.

I have called my one a Trench Howitzer igniter.
It is headstamped: R16L V11. and has a bevelled mouth.

Yep, that is the blank with the parallel front end. As you can see, mine does not have a parallel front end, hence my question.

2" Trench Mortar Drill .jpegThe neck is not parallel for the 2" Trench Mortar Cartridge.
The late B.A.Temple from Australia published a 5 set .303 ammunition ID manuals c.1990 which are possibly still obtainable from Ian Skennerton. Volume 3 (Blanks) is misplaced in my library but I show the case shape (like yours) with tapered neck as a dummy from book 5 made in India. This set is worth buying for information.

It is a propelling cartridge for the 2" trench mortar (plum pudding) as stated above, originally it would have had the top half chemically blackened like the one in the photo ( B.15 VII)

Tony

P1010001.jpg