What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 25mm or 1-inch head

Depotman

Premium Member
I recentlybought a collection of British 1-inch machine-gun and aiming rifle ammunitionand found an ‘oddball’ head in with the ‘standard’ items. I don’t recognise it from the documents Ihave and wonder anyone can identify it? It’s approx. 25mm dia x 66mm long and pictures are attached. Depotman.

DSC_0219.jpgDSC_0221.jpgDSC_0223.jpg

I also have this projectile with the base cut-out plus another similar with a flat base.
I also have no reference and was going to put mine on the forum also. These do not match the reference in P.Labbett's book on page 143. Wrong weight and base.

Hello,
I know this shot as Italian 25mm Perforante (for Nordenfelt guns)
Regards

25mm a.jpg25mm b.jpgMy two projectiles. Obviously two variations or the base was not trimmed?
The flat base is 204 grams (7.2oz or 3148 grains). Overall length is 66.2mm.
The cut-out base is 202 grams (7.1oz or 3117 grains). Overall length is 67.4mm. A bit longer below the driving band.
Photo in Labbet p.143 is the same approx weight.
I am happy to call it Italian as MINENAZ16 said. I have not seen an Italian 25mm case or headstamp. Any photos ?