What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need an expert to identify a Japanese WWII Item

That's my item . I did post it on here a couple of weeks ago . No pos. ID but you can understand why my description is so vague . Thanks .

I collect Japanese WWII ammunition, AA rounds and Artillery rounds. Non of my items have and type of firing Primer like this. I would really like to know what it is. I have posted this on several forums.
Let's hope for an expert to reply.
Kaydee

Please note that I have described it as "probably a piece of Japanese WW2 equipment " & prospective buyers should make up their own minds as to what it was for . At no stage do I suggest it's ammunition related . Thank you & hope your search for an ID is successful . Siegfreid .

Siegfreid,
I never said or implied that you were misleading or improperly described the item. It is Japanese by the writing but what it goes to, you and I are looking for an answer.
kaydee

Please note that I have described it as "probably a piece of Japanese WW2 equipment " & prospective buyers should make up their own minds as to what it was for . At no stage do I suggest it's ammunition related . Thank you & hope your search for an ID is successful . Siegfreid .

It may assist if someone "chalks" over the characters "carefully" on the outer metal rim and post a couple of closeups again - the combination of faint kanji amongst pitted metal is making it hard to distinguish the markings.

mvc-184s.jpg
Thank you Dronica . I have used tailors chalk to try & enhance the symbols . Don't know if this is any good ? Mike .

Sorry Mike, but you really suck at "chalking" (just joking - as I really suck at translations!!!). You need to carefully chalk in the middle to distinguish the strokes.

OK, I grab one of your early photos and enlarge it - seems the LHS Character may actually be 2x closely stamped together as shown here:

Possibilities:

1) Taisho 大将 (shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai kanji 大將) 十(Jū) [basically 10th year in Taisho > 1921] ???

2) Dai (large) .... something ???

3) Roku
六 (six) ......
...for a 60 Kg bomb???

At this stage, (1) would be my best guess.

[FONT=&amp]Cheers
Drew

[/FONT]

Attachments

• Kanji.jpg
    Kanji.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks Drew . I know my pictures are a bit sub standard but I still only use a 20 year old Sony Mavica that I've had since 1999 when I first started selling stuff on the interweb . I've tried the one on my phone but can't get the hang of it . Still , if it ain't bust , don't try to mend it !
Cheers , Mike.

Mike,

Unfortunately the photo resolution of cameras 20 years ago cannot match the resolution of even the basic "smart" phones today - time to upgrade!

Cheers
D

Last edited:
Sorry Kaydee . I was rather hoping someone would recognise it from the size & my somewhat sub-standard pictures as being part of an item they owned but no luck so far . I can do no more than just leave my basic description as it is & leave it up to the buyer to take a chance & eventually [or not] find out what it is exactly . I don't like doing that as it's probably something quite scarce but I really don't have an option in this case . Mike

Siegfreid,
Good luck with the sale. I research everything so that I know what I got. I'm going to pass on this one. If you find out what you have, you have my contact information.
Dwight Brown
kaydeesaembarqmail.com
350-205-8536

Dwight . Will do . I know the guy who's put in a bid & he's also US based so I'll keep in touch . Thanks , Mike.