What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recovered #80 underwater

Gspragge

Premium Member
I picked this up today, I'm hoping I can get it back to some kind of
reasonable condition as I've not found one with an unopened
cover before. There is a leather ? seal , I have not seen this before
at all, was it just for shipping or was it left on the fuze. If left on
I've never encountered one before.

Attachments

• f4.jpg
    f4.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 51
  • f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 58
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 52
  • f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 52
Gordon, I have several No. 80 fuzes with the original leather washer. As far as I'm aware this washer was fitted on all shells. I think yours has swelled a little as mine are flatter.
Graeme

How odd then that in all the years of picking at 18prs and no 80 fuzes I have never seen
this leather washer before ~ Now I suppose I could use about 10 of them :tinysmile_hmm_t: where to find such things ?

I have managed to beat the cap to some semblance of original shape, but even allowing for some
stretching and distortion it is quite different from this other example. Does any one have anything like
mine ?

Question, when rounds were loaded into the limber were these caps left on ?

Attachments

• IMG_0003 (1).jpg
    IMG_0003 (1).jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0002 (1).jpg
    IMG_0002 (1).jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0001 (1).jpg
    IMG_0001 (1).jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I have quite a few 18 pdr fuze caps, but none have a big rounded nose like that one. Also none are stamped on the top like that or have the designation No. 4 Mk I. All my caps are stamped with No. 80 Mk … etc.

I would have thought that the soldered caps would have been removed when the shells were fuzed - but I don't know for sure. It would be dry in the limber and you wouldn't want to be removing the caps and setting the fuze time at the last minute.

I don't know how much distortion or stretching might have occurred due to
water pressure. So I guess until some one has another example of the same mark of cover
we won't know. Hopefully some one has another one in good nick and will post an image.

Last edited:
heres some info that may help

Attachments

• P1030837.JPG
    P1030837.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 23
  • P1030838.JPG
    P1030838.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 26
  • P1030839.JPG
    P1030839.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 28