What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Vickers cases from 1909

Weasel

Premium Member
Wondering if anyone can help with some info on these two Vickers cases, thanks in advance Weasel

Vickers 1.jpgVickers 4.jpg

These are Vickers 1 Navy cases. 47x414R according to Hawkinson. I only have a cut-down case.
I also have a cut-down Vickers 11 (47x411R) Navy case. Why were two cases with 68mm rims so similar. Just two marks of the same case ?

3 mm variation on case length for a cartridge this size is unlikely to be a problem. It might just have accommodated a difference in projectile driving bands, or something.

Thank you very much Tony & Ron for your information and input, i will continuw to search for a picture of a complete round.
Best Weasel

My understanding is that these cases were loaded with the same projectiles as the much more common Hotchkiss 3 pdr, but I'm always open to correction!