What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange 6Pdr 57x303R Head Stamp

imaokie2000

I had a US 6Pdr 57x303R that had a thick layer of clear lacquer that turned brown and I decided to clean it off. When I did, I notice these strange markings. They kind of look Japanese... What do you think?

1.jpg6.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Some of them look like the stamp bounced and struck next to the first strike. What makes you think it's US? Most US stuff has WNY or REM-UMC etc. around the head.

Last edited:
Some of them look like the stamp bounced and struck next to the first strike. What makes you think it's US? Most US stuff has WNY or REM-UMC etc. around the head.

Don't know what country. I bought it several years ago, thinking it was prolly a Winchester. I couldn't make out the head stamp due to a thick coat of lacquer. When I compare it to a Winchester case, it has the same primer, but it has the same primer some of my British cases have also. I agree, it does look to be double struck.