What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French WW1 Petard

Millsman

Premium Member
I bought this grenade with a collection a short while ago and I've failed to identify this French Artisanal grenade. It is mix of hairbrush and barbel with a tin cylinder to contain the explosives.

Has anyone seen this type before?

Thanks - John

DSCN2089_BOCN.jpg

I Hadn't but thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can find one. I did see a reference that the Germans made some of ration tins, so maybe this is one of them.

Hello,
Known in France as german improvised grenade "petard" type (Behelfsmäßige Handgranate)
Regards

Different german "petard"

german petards.jpg

Last edited:
there ARE French TYPE, AND QUITE A FEW TOURIST MODELS MADE LONG AFTER THE WAR. aS THEY ARE, THE HONEST EXAMPLES, MADeUP FROM BITS , THEY ARE HARD TO TELL WHICH ARE French, AND WHICHare German without much experience. Lost my glasses somewhere, going blind at this tyme. The cats probably hid them!

Lot of mystery about these trench "non official" grenades.
I found in french position of early ww1 many of unknown bodies of "petard raquette" with other well known official grenades.
WW1 photos are not a good proof as soldier like to pose with enemy trophies...

German soldiers (look at the cylindrical grenade - first picture)

0.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

French soldiers (sometimes with strange grenades, captured german grenades, french petard ??)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Many thanks for putting up those great photos. I'd not seen any of them before. I'm sure many other people will appreciate them as well. They illustrate very well the range of improvised grenades the Germans used.

Attachments

• Gazette-des-Armes-049-034.jpg
    Gazette-des-Armes-049-034.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Gazette-des-Armes-049-033.jpg
    Gazette-des-Armes-049-033.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Gazette-des-Armes-049-031.jpg
    Gazette-des-Armes-049-031.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 4
  • The-training-and-employment-of-grenadiers-1915-064.jpg
    The-training-and-employment-of-grenadiers-1915-064.jpg