What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 pounder cartridge case mark variations?

Darkman

Could someone please explain the differences in the marks for 18 pounder cases? I have a number of 18 pounder and ammunition handbooks, but none detail the mark variations for cases. There are a couple of obvious changes such as mouth crimps for Mk I and weight (presumably wall thickness), but other than that I'm stumped.
There are Mks I, I*, I**, II, III & IV that I have, or have seen.

Thanks,

Graeme

Whoops! I'm getting confused. Wall thickness and weight are projectile variations not cases.

Mk 1 case has 4 x segmented mouth crimps, Mk II obviously has no mouth crimps and is coned over to match the driveband profile. Mk I* is a Mk I case modified/reworked to Mk II. Mk I** is a a Mk I case modified/reworked to Mk III. So what are the Mk III and Mk IV variations?

I recently saw a mk II* case, but still no closer to understanding the differences between marks.