What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BLU-45/B and BLU-49 Ring Tail Submunitions

ordnance

Premium Member
I just acquired these three submunitions at a local militaria show this weekend and thought I'd share them here and perhaps find some more information. My search skills here are weak but I can't find any mention of the BLU-45/B mine or BLU-49 ring tail bomb on BOCN. Seems odd these have never been discussed before but perhaps the conversation can start here.

The BLU-45/B anti-vehicle mine on the left really intrigues me but little information seems available about it. Does anyone have a sectional diagram or other details on its construction?

The bomb on the right with retarder fins is stenciled as a BLU-49 but one reference identifies it as a BLU-60/B. Apparently, it is described in an Aerojet Ordnance document as having enhanced hard target penetration capabilities. More info on this one would also be welcomed. Thanks.

Submunitions 6-22-19.jpg

The fin set on the far right item is really interesting. I have never seen that before. The center one is the standard ones normally seen. It might be experimental.

Joe

The one on the right is also shown in US-Subs monograph on submunitions, which is where I got the possible ID as a BLU-60/B and the mention of the Aerojet document. Perhaps Jeff can weigh in with additional details if he has any.

Sorry so slow answering, been busy this week. It's 0320 and I'm leaving the office in a few minutes to head north for the day. The ID as a BLU-60 initially came from ID tags on developmental pieces in the storage area at Eglin AFB. My understanding is that some of the materials were since taken by the schoolhouse to be used in the field for technical intelligence problems, etc. Probably not much left by now. Seems like I may have found a single DTIC document on the BLU-60 that identified it as a penetrating version, but not with much detail.

As I recall the BLU-45 was intended to bury itself in a vertical position. It was magnetically fuzed with a misznay-schardin plate in the square portion of the tail, intended to function as a vehicle drove over the top of it. I'm sure there is a line drawing in the pubs, if I ever get a little time I'll try and dig it out. Won't be today....... or tomorrow..... Nice find by the way.

If I remember right, the Milk Bottle (BLU-45) had all of what Jeff said. It also, when it dropped and buried itself due to the weighted nose, had a clearing charge that would move any obstructing debris from around the base before detonation the main charge. Once dropped/emplaced, it had a VERY long active time and needed to be approached with all due caution since I seem to also remember an anti-disturbance feature.

Last edited:
Steel, I'm sorry. US-Subs (Jeff's) reply was right before mine. Cheers, Bruce.

Last edited:
Don't you just hate it when you ask for advice and realize later you had the documentation all along in your files but forgot about it? Realized I had a copy of an Aerojet document with the BLU-60/B designation. The BLU-49 nose fuze is a sheet metal assembly held in with a snap ring but it appears the BLU-60 had a heavier nose piece which would likely help it penetrate harder targets.

Still need internal views of the BLU-45 if anyone has anything.Scan10078.jpgScan10079.jpg

Rick, I'll forego comments dealing with age, eyesight and short term memory loss:wink:, but yes, it happens to all of us.
As far as internals, what you can get off of the web is about it since components and layout are still classified (at least as of 2016 when we ran across some). Cheers, Bruce.

Bruce,

Thanks for the clarification on the BLU-45. I suspected from the start that it might still be classified as so few details were available. It seems odd that something that has been in service for so long remains secret when so many newer high tech ordnance pieces are well documented. I don't know if the BLU-45 has ever been deployed in an area where it could be recovered by the enemy like newer items have. If not, perhaps it's easier and logical to keep that information classified as long as possible. For now, I'll just enjoy my dummy shape for what it is.