What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7cm shrapnel shell ???

earni74

Premium Member
060.jpg052.jpg053.jpg054.jpg055.jpg056.jpg057.jpg058.jpg059.jpg050.jpg I cannot find this 7cm shrapnel shell in my books/paperwork, as you can see, someone has made a slot under the fuze presumably to get oil/releasing agent inside and onto the threads to unscrew the fuze , the hole in the base is not threaded and looks like it was made with the hole as the copper wash is in the hole, the projectile is 7cm in diameter, can anyone help identify this, thanks

Hello,
Are you sure this fuze matches with this shell body ?
Remnant of blue paint on the ring sounds a device (small ring + fuze DoppZ96 nA) for 7.7 shrapnel 96.
The body seems to be unfinished or trench art shell and looks like a money box

Hello MINENAZ16, the fuze and fuze holder fits perfectly, I know what you mean when you refer to the blue paint and 7.7cm shell, its been a mystery to me for a while and only managed to remove the fuze today, its certainly a strange one to identify, I am certainly baffled, and yes, it does look like a money box !!!
Mick

It doesn't look like a real projectile to me. Inner construction makes no sense, the material looks like cast iron (lunkers in the base)this wouldn't make sense too, the driving band profile looks unreal and is very flat. Do you have better pictures of the driving band?

Last edited: