What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SR-71 Static Display SAC Museum Nebraska

HAZORD

Premium Member
I just returned from a trip to Nebraska. The Strategic Air Command was based in Omaha, and the SAC Aerospace Museum is located about 45 miles west of Omaha, just off the I-80.

I will be making additional postings of other displays. Copyright 2019 HAZORD

Attachments

• IMG_8200.jpg
    IMG_8200.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8197.jpg
    IMG_8197.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7959.jpg
    IMG_7959.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7957.jpg
    IMG_7957.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7955.jpg
    IMG_7955.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
A great museum. A number of unique items on display. Got a special "behind the scenes" tour some 15 years ago during one of my Dad's squadron reunions.
Can't wait to see more pics, HAZ.

Thank you for sharing these incredible photos of this bad ass American aircraft!

SR71 at USAF Lakenheath (aka RAF Mildenhall) around 1971

SR71 at USAF Lakenheath (aka RAF Mildenhall) about 1989.
I think I was at the airshow that year.

Attachments

• SR71 at USAF Lakenheath about 1989 - 1.jpg
    SR71 at USAF Lakenheath about 1989 - 1.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 10
A technological marvel - way ahead of anything else in its era, and there's been nothing to match it since.

The only other post-WW2 plane I can think of which was so far ahead of anything comparable was Concorde.

I was riding a bike outside of Kadena AFB in 1983 on my way to the Marine EOD Shop when one flew over me on a landing run. Nearly wrecked the bike. We also used to watch them take off from the shop since it was on a low hill near the runways end. Impressive, looked like it was shooting out blue flame balls. Thanks HAZ.

Last edited: