What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK air gun laws

if you read the news it said he had modified the air rifle to give more power. Any incident with an air rifle and the police will generally chronograph it to see if it is over the 12ftlbs limit. They must have done his because he was done for not having a firearm certificate. Sad case for all concerned but pulling the trigger to see if it was loaded and have it pointed at someone is beyond stupid he deserves everything he got. So sad for the child. But the mother wants tighter airgun laws by having them licenced as if that would have made any difference with someone willing to break the law any way. I'm a grandad with and air rifle of my own so can 'appreciate' the situation.

Air Rifles under 12 ft/lbs can be freely held in England and Wales.

The law is more restrictive in Northern Ireland and Scotland.

But the only part of the UK where handguns can be held on licence is Northern Ireland

This was a very sad case involving a young child

Last edited:
The CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) would need to know whether the weapon constitutes a Section 5 firearm, ie where the figure of 12 ft/lb is exceeded. This will likely affect the subsequent sentence, an aggravating factor being that the man modified the weapon to be more powerful and the weapon would have required a firearms certificate. If he didn't have the weapon on a firearms certificate then his sentence may be increased. What was he thinking?

Are Scotts more dangerous than the average Englishman?
Scotland has powers to create certain laws that apply only to Scotland.

That is why air rifles are not (yet) licensed in England or Wales. They also require licenses in Northern Ireland.

Was the air rifle in question CO2 powered? Can you get spring loaded air rifles over 12 ft lbs?

I don't know about the weapon involved. I'm guessing that it would be possible to factory-produce more powerful air weapons, but then their owners would need a firearms licence. You may as well get a firearms licence and buy yourself a .22 rifle or pistol instead. And the storage required for it too. Unless I had a really good reason for it I wouldn't bother, too much red tape.