What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early No.5 Mills, "Centre-cast" illiterate ?

LMG14

Hello,

I have always been an enthusiast of WW1 British Mills grenades. I have a couple of the early variant which I have always referred to as being "centre-cast", a description I thought was used to set them apart from the standard side way joined examples. I noticed today that WD-Militaria has listed one of these early examples but states that they are only known as "centre-cast" by the illiterate.

Does anyone have an opinion on this ? Is there an official term for the early "lathe-turned" examples ?

A copy and paste quote from the sellers site --

Scarce Inert 1915 No 5 (Mills) Grenade

An example of sought after early production, having a body of cast and lathe-turned manufacture (commonly termed "centre-cast" by the illiterate) and a smaller variant pin ring. The base plug appear to indicate manufacture by the firm Brooks & Doxey Ltd.

Code: 27045Price: 285.00 GBP

He's just trying to be clever.

The correct term in 'Transverse Casting' but Centrecast has been used for years by collectors. It refers to the fact that the grenade is made of top and a bottom halves joined at the centre. The castings were made with the vertical grooves cast in and the horizontal grooves made by putting the body on a lathe and cutting them in. A time consuming operation.

I've never heard the term 'lathe turned Mills' before.

So correct usage - Transverse casting
Common Usage - Centrecast

I agree with John .They've always been referred to as Centre Cast & everyone knows what you mean even if not technically correct . It's a bit like the No 80 & 83 grenades were called "Bean Can Grenades" even though they never contained many beans ! The term "Lathe Turned" is sometimes used for Mills variants that were made as normal & then refinished on a lathe to clean up the segments for display purposes when touting for contracts etc .

DSCN1066.jpg
I agree with John .They've always been referred to as Centre Cast & everyone knows what you mean even if not technically correct . It's a bit like the No 80 & 83 grenades were called "Bean Can Grenades" even though they never contained many beans ! The term "Lathe Turned" is sometimes used for Mills variants that were made as normal & then refinished on a lathe to clean up the segments for display purposes when touting for contracts etc .
This very early May 15 transverse cast of mine was certainly very well lathe finished and from its handling wear, Ime sure it did the rounds well when taken on tour, quite possibly by William Mills himself.[I wish it could talk, just love to know its history].

Andy.

Last edited:
The charm of the Transverse casting / Centrecast is that they are all unique. Every horizontal groove is different, showing purely manual input.

Here's two of mine.

The one on the left has three completely different horizontal grooves, whilst the one on the right is more uniform in size. Some grooves are deep others shallow, but the key thing is that every Centrecast is different.

DSCN2454.jpg

John

A couple of my centre casts just 3 months apart, 5/15 and 8/15, already differences are noticeable.

AndyDSCN1173.jpg

LOL out of 75 million, we will never know, bought it at the War and Peace show for about 50 quid some 10 years ago, had a pretty plain standard Brass plug on it dated 1916, not correct so i added an aluminium one for August 1915 to bring it back to perspective, we will never know its true maker, spoilt before i got it sadly but for that price well worth it.By the way, my mate Tim has taken some pics for you of the wood and ile send them tomorrow.

Andy