What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who like them BIG!

Tony Williams

A postcard which I discovered in my files recently:

18inAmmo copy 2.jpg

It shows an exhibit in the Crystal Palace in London, probably during the Great War Exhibition of 1920. The photo’s title is:

REPLICA OF THE WAR’S BIGGEST GUN, ITS PROJECTILES AND CHARGE

The four projectiles shown are stencilled as follows (from left to right):
18 IN MK 1A A.P.C. FUZED
18 IN MK 1A H.E. FUZED
18 IN MK 1A SHRAPNEL FUZED
18 IN MK 1A C.P.C. FUZED

The topmost of the six propellant charges stacked up is labelled: 18 IN BL 105 LB CORDITE MD SIZE 45 1/6 CHARGE

A comparison with other gun photos, plus the six charges (which represent the full charge: 6 x 105 lb = 630 lb total charge) confirm that this replica is of the 18 inch naval gun which saw service in WW1, not the later, less powerful, howitzer. The shrapnel shell was presumably developed for its ultimate purpose of shore bombardment. The shells weighed in at 3,320 lbs (1506 kg).

More details about the gun and its ammunition are here:
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_18-40_mk1.php

Last edited:
Impressive, I pulled up some info on the 18" naval guns and found the Japs in WW2 had developed one slightly larger.

[h=3]Description[/h]" The BL 18-inch Mk I naval gun was a breech-loading naval gun used by the Royal Navy during World War I. It was the largest and heaviest gun ever used by the British. Only the Second-World-War Japanese 40 cm/45 Type 94 had a larger calibre, 18.1 inches, but the British shell was heavier. Wikipedia"

I'll take 'em any way I can get 'em.....that goes for women too:tongue:

With all of the National Ensigns in the background, makes you wonder where the Imperial Japanese got the idea for theirs. Even the U.S. had one, but it spent its days at Dahlgren as a test weapon.