What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few items and Questions from a new member.

Robert B.

Hi All. Just To introduce myself, I am Robert, a student living directly opposite the IWM at Duxford and a spitfire is buzzing outside the window as I type this.

The following is few small items I have been given or found in dusty antique shops over the last few years. from left to right:
Bren Mag (5) with a .303 round given by an elderly gentleman
bottom: Machine Gun link found at Ouistreham, Normandy.
M1 Garand mag clip, 1
.50cal? casing found in Cornwall. Stamped 'K.40 WII'
The big blue thing is (I think) an Aden training round from the Harrier aircraft.

On the Book are two shell fuzes. These were given to me by a deceased family friend who served in both the RAF and Royal Artillery during the war. I was left his collection of medals, documents and photos from days on coastal artillery and later with an armoured division in Germany. These two shells were souvenirs from his father who served in the R.A. during the first war.

The one on the right is dated 12/16 and marked No.101EII
The one on the left is dated 1915 and ZsuwWM - any pointers as to what this is?

The things below came with the shell cones, and appear to be napkin holders? each has the badge of various twns in france: 'La Somme', 'Ypres', 'Armentieres', 'Amiens' and 'Lens'. If anybody could give any information...?

S5020796.jpg

S5020798.jpg

Your 50 cal is a .55 boys anti tank rifle case made by kynoch.
The fuze No101 was one of the most used fuzes in the first world war by the Brits. The ZsuwWM is a german fuze used on the 17cm and 25cm trench mortars and the big bleu thing is indeed a 30mm aden practice round.

Items for ID

Hi Robert, you have a few nice things in your collection so far.

As Blu 97 points out the 50 cal is in fact a .55" Boys and as for the 30 mm ADEN Practice round I suspect it is either a "Repro" or may be of non British manufacture as it was only British experimental rounds that had "Sintered Iron" driving bands.
DEFA rounds have "Sintered Iron" bands as your appears to be.

Keep up the collecting and good luck! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Thankyou Chris and Blu

With regards the Aden round, the casing is marked J.30.RG84 and 850 CY 85 Prac 4Z
I have foundout indian manufactured practice rounds marked '2Z', so perhaps this refers to the original projectile, with the fired casing being fitted with another head for display?
P,m,7,05 is lightly engraved on the side - I guess this is the date it was re-fitted?

The .55 round was found on Davidstow Moor, Bodmin, at the site of an old airfield. Is there any chance of getting a replacement head?
On the moor itselfwe would occasionally find bomb fragments (either from training or jettisoned from aircraft making emergency landings). The largest was 10'' across, but I threw it out in a cleanout several months back:sad:

Regards all, Robs