What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown British 1905 fuze cap/cover?

Darkman

I picked up this brass fuze cover on the weekend.
It's marked:

II
C.L. Co. Ld.
/l\ B

With the broad arrow it must surely be British, and it has a screw thread like later naval fuze covers.

The only fuze of this dome shape I can find for the era is the No. 80 Mk I, but it wouldn't have a screw fitting cover.

Can anyone identify which fuze it may be for?

Thanks,

Graeme

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 18
Hi
On your picture 3 you have inside the holder screwing cover which must be soldered by welding on the socket brass fuze
For fuze 80 Mk I and II

So this cover was soldered to the brass fuze socket lip for the all-alloy Mk I and II fuzes? Does the threaded part engage with the fuze bottom lip? Also how would the cover be removed - how would you break the solder seal?

20190717_110410.jpg20190717_110436.jpghere you see the holder cover remove from the cap and on the first picture the leadwelding on the holder.
I think that the holder is welding on the socket fuze and after the cover screwing and solder after. You see also under the cap the sealling (red)
When you want to remove the cap holder and cap are snatched from the socket fuze. ¨Perhaps an other think , there was an tear strip around the holder cap and top socket?

Thanks for the extra photos Doctor. They explain a bit more.

I found some information in a 1915 18 Pr handbook. Reading the text indicates there was another threaded ring that the top cap portion screwed in to and was separate from the fuze.

Attachments

• IMG_5118a.jpg
    IMG_5118a.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5119a.jpg
    IMG_5119a.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 14