What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roman fountain, Ourense, Galicia, Spain

sksvlad

WARNING:
Do not touch this water. It is coming out at 67 degrees Celcius and will scald your fingers.
This originally Roman fountain later dressed into a present shape has NO military significance, but my note will save your hands.
Also the water is radioactive.
Ourense sits on top of an ancient volcano and the water in Rio Mino is hot. I tried to walk in it. The water is OK on the surface (ducks swim in it) but standing on the sand (bottom) is impossible (burning hot). So you see ocean size algea in the river, incredible view.
DSCF0449.jpgDSCF0450.jpgDSCF0451.jpgDSCF0453.jpgDSCF0434.jpg

Last edited:
Gracias. I am making my way to Barcelona. Now I know why there is so much Spanish wine in US. Central Spain is nothing but thousands of wineries. There is wheat and vacas also, but wine is a predominant product. Castles and wine everywhere. Wish me luck, the summer temperatures in the south of Spain are AMAZING.

Last edited:
Just to be fair to other parts of Spain, here is a Roman hot fountain in Barcelona (Caldes de Montbui) with temperature right next to it.
DSCF0528.jpgDSCF0524.jpgDSCF0525.jpg
Basically, treat any fountain in Spain as "hot", here is one which is not marked at all.
DSCF0562.jpg

Last edited:
Almost. You guys may be very amuzed by my being excited about Roman stuff. I was/still is facinated by Rome when I was little. Now I live in US, a place devoid of human relics. In North America so called Indians were dragging their wigwams everyday to kill totonka (bison) so they never developed written languages, architecture and other common human things. And the bison moves where the grass is, up and down the whole continent. So it is very exciting for me to see Roman ruins and fountains, the things you guys take for granted.
Here are Roman baths in Caldes de Montbui (suburb of Barcelona) where according to the legend Cleopatra herself bathed when visiting the Roman Province of Hispania.
DSCF0531.jpgDSCF0532.jpgDSCF0533.jpgDSCF0534.jpg

Last edited: