What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm projo ID

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I received these pictures from my son last night, they are doing some range clearance operations and came across this 75mm. They didn't recognize it and sent the pictures to me. I did a short search and have so far come up with nothing. I'm out of office on the road for a couple of days and have no time at the moment for a more in-depth search, does anyone recognize the item? A long bodied 75mm, large diameter fuze well in the base and a short ogive cap crimped on the nose. Aluminum piece in the base has stamped letters at 12:00, appear to be PL_G, believed plug. No stamped markings visible on the body. Too long for an APHE, wrong profile for the standard HEAT, wrong profile for HEP and the HEP was one piece. My examples of the RR rounds are all tapered base, this one is square. I've included a reference shot of some of my 75s for comparison. The range area this was found on is air, artillery and mortar, used from WWI to present day. A US range, it has also been historically used for co-training with Canadian forces. Thanks for any help.

Grayling 75mm 2.jpgGrayling 75mm 1.jpg75mm RR.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the 76mm British Armored Car ARMDC Projo, Practice or HESH.

76mm Canister, 76mm HESH, Prac HESH, and 75mm Gun HEP-T. HESH are 13 inches long, U.S. HEP-T 11.5 inches long.

Attachments

• IMG_8363.jpg
    IMG_8363.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Looks like the 76mm British Armored Car ARMDC Projo, Practice or HESH.

76mm Canister, 76mm HESH, Prac HESH, and 75mm Gun HEP-T. HESH are 13 inches long, U.S. HEP-T 11.5 inches long.

Canada used/uses a similar projectile with the Cougar AVGP which has a British Scorpion turret.

In the photos in the original post the tracer, adapter and copper washer have come off the projectile.

The 76mm HESH used the Fuze PD L71A1. A copper washer fitted over the base of the fuze and is retained in position by an adapter which screws into the base of the fuze on the one side and provided for attachment of the tracer on the other side. When the tracer, adapter and copper washer are removed the base of the fuze is exposed and the markings Fuze BD L71A1 should be visible.

Canada used two different colour code schemes on the HESH projectiles. Black overall body colour with yellow ogive and yellow markings and olive drab overall body colour with black hazard band and yellow markings.

The 76mm SH/Prac had a Plug Representing Fuze (PRF) and used the same tracer, adapter and copper washer. When these are removed the marking PLUG should be visible on the base of the PRF. I believe PL is visible in the second photo.

Photo of a HESH projectile showing the tracer.

76mm Armd Car HESH-T.jpg