What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spanish Civil War

sksvlad

Today is the 1st day of Spanish Civil War. It started in 1936. It is also my 1st day in Barcelona. I am sitting here talking to old people who have lived here as children during SCW. Unreal experience, considering the level of my spoken Spanish. I hope to drum up some pictures here for all of you.

I've visited Barcelona a couple of times, but the last was many years ago. The Montjuic Hill (IIRC) which dominates the city has an old fortress at the top which used to house a weapons museum, with the open courtyard in the centre lined with various artillery pieces. Sadly, I understand that this has since closed. I particularly recall an ammunition display which included a selection of the very rare 20 x 99RB ammo for the Oerlikon Type L (SEMAG), one of the many assorted weapons used in the Spanish Civil War.

Tony,
I am going there tomorrow, by cable car. I'll post whatever is still there. There is a much bigger museum of SCW in Valencia. I'll be there too, soon.

sksvlad
The museum is no longer there, it was taken away years ago the city council of Barcelona had it removed when passing the Castle for civil use. A pity the museum was spectacular.

I found a SCW memorial in a place where I did not expect to find it, Monestir de Montserrat. By the way, the paths leading to the tops of these mountains are sometimes rather treacherous, ill advised to someone with bad knees, leg problems or claustrophobic.
DSCF0712.jpgDSCF0713.jpgDSCF0711.jpgDSCF0717.jpgDSCF0729.jpgDSCF0725.jpgDSCF0727.jpg