What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brass Cannon

orcutteod

Picked up this small cannon and don't know much about it, looks like it was made for a carriage I'm not sure if this is a signal cannon or something else. It's 14.5 inches long and the bore is 37mm. Their are no markings and it's heavy.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 74
Does it have a vent hole (touch hole) perpendicular to the bore.
What is the hole in the back of the cascabel knob? Does it go straight through into the breech end of the bore?

Yes the hole goes straight through the back of the cascabel knob into the breech end of the bore. Which is odd to me.

I think it may be a modern decorative piece.

If you look at the picture of the rear of the cannon, you can see the casting line. It looks like a rough unfinished casting.

Clean up years of verdigris on the cannon today and was hoping to find some caster marks but their was none. And yes indeed it's made of bronze. I too am wondering if this is maybe a decorative piece, if so somebody went to a lot of time and trouble making it.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 45
I finally got around to making a carriage for the cannon which was a challenge having never made one before.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 33
You missed Independence Day. Maybe celebrate New Years with it?:bigsmile:

I used American black walnut that was given to me by an old friend and has been aged for over 40 years. And the wheels are die cast steel meant for castors that you can find at any good hardware store. The axial wood is oak. A lot of labor went into making the carriage using water activated Gorilla glue and 1/4 inch walnut dowels to hold everything together.