What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mg215/15 restoration of ammunition

womble

Hi all I am currently in the process of restoring some MG215/15 ammunition (various types including ball and pressure test) and wondered if anybody has any colour pics of these type rounds as some of the cases will need to be repainted, if anyone could help with pics or info then that would be apprecaited.

Cheers

womble

Hi Womble,
I don't think i have seen one before, look forward to seeing any replies and associated images and info.
Best Weasel

MG 215/15 brown lacquered steel case, percussion primed, practice projectile (normally unpainted) no head-stamp.
MG 215/13 brass washed steel case, electric primed, practice projectile, unpainted, no head-IMG_1274 (2).jpgstamp.

Weasel thankyou for your post, I know that these are not that common so it was abit of a long shot.Pysall thank you very much indeed for the pics and info, it is great that with oddities there are some members who can shed some light on the matter or others who show interest and encouragement.
Having cleaned them a bit more there appears to be some variation to Pysall's pics as the pressure test round has the locating grove to the base and a small hole in the case the proj is an HE type which is empty and there is no nose fuse, the drive band is single copper with a center grooving around it (similar to the French 1pdr pom poms). there is an AP round which has head stampings eeo 44 .2 with a brass primer with a small s (all these have been inlaid with traces of yellow paint) the proj has a single solid copper drive band and the proj is stamped eeo 44- this case still has the original coating which looks like a very dark brown (almost black) very similar to the left hand one in Pysall pic. so with regards to this one does anyoune know what is the nearest colour of paint match to this. any further info would be great. cheers womble

Womble,
are you sure that the rounds you are talking about are MG215/15?
To me they sound like MG151/15 as the single copper drive band with central groove is found in early examples in brass cases. I will post a pic later....

Pysall I believe so 15x83mm and same case type etc as your pics. these came covered in rust and filthy and both projs had been paired with the respective cases for many years (since lost/buried)and only separated during cleaning process.
cheers womble

ok 15 x 83 it is rather than 15 x 95. How about some pictures please as these are rather scarce rounds. I do know of an example of a 215/15 with pointed A.P projectile.
Going back to the early brass cased 15 x 95 (1939 and 1940 dates) with grooved driving band - see photo. The early H.E. is fitted with the AZ1551 - the later one with the AZ1552.
IMG_1462 (2).jpg

Experimental HMG rounds in my collection (some more to add to these later!):

HMG2.jpg

Thanks guys for the two posts. and pics as per Tony's third from the right (case type) with regards pics I will post when completed the painting, so does any one know the nearest colour match paint wise I appreciate that if it is copper washed then this is difficult to reproduce however as mentioned the original paint on the base one of the cases is very dark brown/ almost black so any ideas of suitable paint match - ie humbrol airfix or others or a mixture of two or more so any info would be good cheers Womble

Hi all Just finished painting two of the rounds, its a near match, first pic of part way through the process and second one of completed, hopefully the new paint will dull off or I may have to flat it off, will have to see how it goes,the only part that had to have filler was just around the part of the neck on one round, after painting a little of the pitting still showing through. in the pic are some other german rounds/cases with the case colour for comparison along with some other collectables.

Cheers

wombleDSC_0548.jpgDSC_0566.jpg

pysall

Thanks for the feed back, I started with brown and kept adding black it was suprising how much black was needed. there was a tin of paint availavble from Boyes which was called german black brown -panzer paint tried this but even this was too light. I still have some left in a small tin and if it dues not dull off then most likely will have to add a bit more black to tone it down.

cheers

Womble

Hi all just an update regarding this thread I was in Holland recently and whilst there I was very kindly invited into the home and able to view an amazing collection held by a top collector, within this collection there was a mg215/15 AP I mentioned that I had one and was informed that they where made and do exist, which made my day. many thanks indeed for the hospitality and information.

cheers

Womble