What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Generator Smoke No. 11 Mk I

Antoon

Ordnance approved
Who has information about this smoke generator No 11 Mk I.

It think it should be dropped from an aircraft.

Greetings - Antoon Generator Smoke No 11 Mk 1 (03).jpeg Generator Smoke No 11 Mk 1 (01).JPG

The generator was an RAF store, used used to indicate in the camera obscura, the position of an aircraft during high level bombing practice.
It could also be used for signalling.
Sometime early in WW2 the Mk1 ceased production, but was still in use, even when the Mk2 version had been produced.
They are described as being coloured smokes, probably to differentiate between aircraft bombing accuracy.
I have nothing on the Mk1, only that the container dimensions are identical to the Mk2.
Both marks were packed in a Box M62 Mk1.

Are there any indicators of a colour on the other side of the generator and is there a makers mark visible?

The generator was an RAF store, used used to indicate in the camera obscura, the position of an aircraft during high level bombing practice.
It could also be used for signalling.
Sometime early in WW2 the Mk1 ceased production, but was still in use, even when the Mk2 version had been produced.
They are described as being coloured smokes, probably to differentiate between aircraft bombing accuracy.
I have nothing on the Mk1, only that the container dimensions are identical to the Mk2.
Both marks were packed in a Box M62 Mk1.

Are there any indicators of a colour on the other side of the generator and is there a makers mark visible?

Bill,

The Mark I is filled SR905 and the Mark II is filled SR899. The Mark I design was sealed 8-8-38 and the Mark II was sealed 12-1-40. Drawings associated with these stores include:
Mark I - DD(L)5771
Mark II - DD(L)10262
Igniter - DD(L)8379
[Note the design interest at Fort Halstead in respect of Aircraft Bombs and RAF Pyrotechnics was transferred to RAE, Farnborough, 2 Sept 1946]

A useful reference is:
Air Publication 1661E Volume I Pyrotechnics, Section 10 Smoke Generators, Chapter 4 Generator, Smoke, No 11, Mark II dated January 1942

The Staff History 'Special Weapons and Types of Warfare' (War Office 1952) Volume II has a very readable section on the development of smoke weapons although it does not specifically cover the No 11 Generator.

Last edited: