What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great war French 155mm HE projectile

starshell

Premium Member
Good evening,

Would anyone here have any illustrations or documentation relating to the first war French 155mm HE shell.
I have one in the collection which measures 637mm minus adaptor, 647mm with adaptor (both approximate measurements) with a driving band width of 13mm.
The base is not boat tailed but square.
I have documentation for French projectiles up to 1915, but this shell is not listed, although there are similar shorter models. Also, what fuze would this shell have been commonly fitted with?
Many thanks in advance,

With the dimensions you give it's probably a 155mm en acier allongé Mle 1890
I can't give more information except they could be loaded with toxic gas.

Yoda

IMG_4194.jpgIMG_4195.jpgIMG_4193.jpgIMG_4192.jpgIMG_4191.jpg

Many thanks Yodamaster,

Attached are some images of the shell and some additional info:

Base to driving band measures 19mm, width of adaptor socket measures 63mm (both approx.) Interestingly, the chap who sold it to me long ago also suggested it may have been a chemical shell?...
(apologies for the side on views, not yet mastered the wife's laptop...)

Anymore info would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Hello,
With this shape and this kind of gaine (adaptor - 63/73 M1915-C) it's a 155mm HE steel model 1890 modified (m1890 has been modified several times for new gaines and fuzes) or model 1914 (a little bit long for a m1914 so maybe a 1890, I never know how to make the difference)
Regards

Here is a "Google translation" of a text in French on this subject, My knowledge of the English language does not allow me to do this translation alone.

The model 1890 elongated shell:
The discovery of new explosives was to give the shell all its offensive value. At the same time new designs finally made it possible to understand that an elongated shell remained very stable on its trajectory, which implied the possibility of using a larger explosive charge.
However, it was not necessary to exceed a reasonable weight of about 45kg, in order to protect the carriages and tubes. The solution was a projectile thin walls but very resistant, which had to study the profile so that it resists the shock of departure.
The new techniques for forging steel press were implemented to make a machine of great power for the time: the torpedo shell. The explosive, again was melinite whose weight reached 10.2 kg.
However, abnormal shooting behavior challenged the profile adopted, and new research led to the following model:
The elongated shell model 1914:
Although it has the same external shape as the 1890 model, the profile of the walls of the 1914 model is modified to better withstand the effects of acceleration and pressure of gases at high loads.
Priming is performed by a relay sheath screwed into the plug closing the shell. This device was made necessary by the insensitivity of the explosive to the most violent shocks.
For security reasons, the percussion fuzes were mounted only at the moment of firing.
The 1890 and 1914 models are painted yellow. Total weight 43 kg.

Many thanks Minenaz16 and 37bis for the superb information. Reading the info above leads me to think the difference between the 1890 and 1914 models largely depends on the wall thickness and profile? Having looked at the documents I have, the 155mm model listed is the 1914 model, slightly shorter than my example.
Just a couple more questions if I may:
1. Are there any distinguishing features of a 155mm chemical shell compared to my example, that is to say, do the shells look the same externally or was a particular model used solely for gas?
2. Did this 1890/1914 model carry a particular fuze in its HE role?

Thanks very much again, much appreciated!

Hello,
1-Bodies of Model 1890 and Model 1914 shells were filled chemical agents but with special top gaines for better seal (different as your HE adaptor).
2-Except earlier 1890, these shells were fuzed 24-31mm detonator fuzes (usually fuzed 24-31 m1899 and IAL 15 during ww1). Quite sure m1914 still in use at the begining of ww2.
Regards

Many thanks Minenaz16,
Excellent info as usual, and a great source of info for all things French!
Much appreciated.