What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm Bofors proof round

BMG50

Premium Member
I came across this 40mm Bofors P of P proof round unfired, not sure if its a L60 or L70 as some Bofors projectiles have tapered bases with tapered base tracer fuzes. The base fuze is marked, firing repT&I No14 Mk2, and has a un marked removable inert nose fuze that all strips down. I noticed that the base colour yellow is buff beneath the black paint would have been the projectiles original colour. Would this be a projectile taken of the production line and turned into a proof round or would this be done at armoury level. If anyone can enlighten me more about this projectile, i would be gratefull.

A42E6DB1-6B93-4DAD-AE85-BD43E534B4C9.jpg73B887FE-EB48-495A-A5C4-68D681283038.jpg984EA0AC-BC37-4F66-BC79-BDDCF97DB04B.jpg

I have the same projectile without a fuze also showing yellow paint. I thought a PRF would be fitted. My paint markings are a bit clearer. I think I read somewhere that normal Bofors fuzes were used in the early UK L/70 projectiles? The projectile is weighted and contains no fillers. My projectile reads:

SX 97A
40/70
D?/L/9751/E 1107
2LB 3OZ 4DR
P OF P

OSP
PROOF

Projectile is stamped:

40/70
LiT ? 6/57

Your markings are exactly the same the D? is a 2, so D2. My projectile is dated 56. I have the normal wax substitute HE filling that is inert and a wooden piece of dowel for the gain in the fuze head, This similar arrangement is also found on 2 and 3 inch mortar rounds P of P. Anyone know how a proof round was used and what it was tested for, sounds a stupid question, would this be done by the armorer, proof house or manufacturer?.

I show my Australian L/60 Proof projectile with my L/70 Proof (wrong plug fuze).
The L/60 has poor white lettering but the top is plugged with nice stencils.
The base is flat and overall length is 119.5mm. Stamped into the projectile is:
BHP 90639
1LB 15OZ 8 1/2 DR
40MM MO
4. 2-43
Bofors Proof L:70 & L:60.jpgBofors Proof Australian top.jpg

Nice to see the comparison of post war and war time bofors rounds in that the base below the drive band, WW2 is tapered and post war squared. So in the world of 40mm Bofors collecting are all L60 rounds tapered and shorter and L70 post war round tapered off square and longer. Anyone can enlighten me about Bofors rounds, the differences..