What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian 81mm Proof Mortars.

ron3350

I show two Australian used 81mm Proof mortars shells. Who is MA? Does not look Australian.
The broken red/orange line is noted on 81mm mortars and 20Pr tank P of P propellant proof projectiles. Later mortars and 105mm Tank and 105mm Howitzer P of P are painted orange I am told for proof recovery? Is this correct?

The green Mortar is 9 lb 3oz 4dr weight HES filled. Dummy fuze T185E3. What does SPE stand for?
Body is marked: 18 MA/10/74/81mmM374A2. HES.

The orange mortar is similar but stencilled:
81MM
HE SUB
M374A2

P of P
4.117KG
SPE

2 MA 7 83 /81MM M374A2. HES. The tail is Australian MO 84.

How are these Proof mortars used? The weight is known so is it the distance travelled to prove the propellant is standard?81mm Aust Mortar Primers MY.jpg81mm Proof d.jpg81mm Proof c.jpg81mm Mortar Proof P of P a.jpg81mm Proof b.jpg

Hello,
81mm M374 series mortar projectile are US, also used by other countries.
Inert fuzes seem to be dummy version of M524 series.
HES stands for High Explosive Substitute (usually used for practice).
In France orange paint is for inert dummy modern ordnance.
Regards

I just found out that the MA manufacturer of my proof mortars was Lithgow SAF, NSW, Australia.
They made 2" and 81mm mortar bombs, 105mm Leopard tank practice sabots, Phalanx projectiles, 30mm Aden links, fuzes and components and 40mm Bofors clips. Plus all the rifles and machine-guns.

1. SPE=Special Proof Examination
2. proof of Propellant for the 81mm requires a series of firings at each increment level CHG 0 through CHG10. measurements are taken for in-bore pressures as well as muzzle velocities