What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 57 mm Drill round - Please assist

Andy Naude

Please assist me with identification of this round.

Calibre:
57 mm

Case Length: Not sure. The wooden section ends at 468 mm

Overall Length: 667 mm

Rim: 89.3 mm

Weight: 5.9 kg

IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1001.JPG

There are no other identification marks.

Thank you for looking.

Hello,
Looks like Navy Bofors style.
This one (post ww2) with same shape (full steel) is 665mm long (weight 6kg)
Regards

57MM NAVY BOFORS.jpg

Last edited:
To me it is a 6pr 7cwt APCBC Drill. At least, that is the length of a round for 6pr 7cwt APCBC. The rim is wrong for Bofors 57mm.

Additional Information

IMG_1008.JPG

I don't think it is a 57 mm Bofors. The rim thickness is 5 mm and I think the 57 mm Bofors rim looks much thicker.

In the photo above I have it on the left. The two centre rounds are the 6 pounder 6 CWT (rim diameter 90 mm) on the right is a 6 pounder 10 CWT (replica) and the rim diameter is 88 mm.

The "case" is very tapered, with no apparent neck.

If it did not look like a very well made factory round with some signs of usage I would have thought it might be been an imaginary item made in a back yard work shop, but I think it is legitimate. I need more help please.

Last edited:
I have examples of both 7cwt and Bofors cases and have just measured them: the Bofors rim is 10 mm thick. the 7cwt is a fraction over 5 mm.