What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German First war Green cross gas shell colours and markings..

starshell

Premium Member
Hello all,

I've a bit of info regarding German First war colour schemes for Blue cross gas shells, but nothing for Green cross shells.
I'm considering painting a 10.5cm shell to represent a 'Grunkreuz' example, but info is pretty thin on the ground it seems (or maybe I'm not looking in the right places...)

Would anyone have info regarding colours and markings applied to a 10.5cm gas shell of this type? As far as I can tell its a different colour scheme to Blue/Yellow cross shells?

Many thanks in advance chaps!

Maybe this helps.

Attachments

• FARBTAF1.jpg
    FARBTAF1.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 74
  • FARBTAF2.jpg
    FARBTAF2.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 78
  • FARBTAF3.jpg
    FARBTAF3.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 64
Many thanks for the info rigby, much appreciated.
I'd always thought each gas shell had its coloured cross painted on the side of the shell body, so am surprised to find some had the cross on the base and not on the side (as in the case of the Green cross).
Thanks again.

Last edited:
They also had the crosses painted on the base of the case too.
Andy

Attachments

• 169-98f83d9920.jpg
    169-98f83d9920.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hello,
Maybe you already know, but for your 10.5cm gas shell, you need a long model (378mm w/o fuze - same body as long HE).
You could have also green cross on body (one on each side) on 10.5cm, depends on chemical agent used and era ;
and it's prettier for display.

1.jpg2.jpg

Free french website on chemical warfare : http://www.guerredesgaz.fr/Agression/artillerie/artillerie.htm

Last edited:
Many thanks to everyone for the information, its much appreciated.

MINENAZ16, Thanks for the illustration. I also have a long model 10.5cm, (378mm) which matches exactly the illustration you posted in terms of measurements.

As the shell I have was painted (badly!) but still has a smooth body, I'll now look into painting it as a Grunkreuz example. Just wanted to get the exact colours right before I commit to it. You mentioned that this shell could carry 2 (Green?) crosses on the body depending on chemical used and era? Would the crosses be placed similar to a Yellow cross shell, and would the shell body colours be the same as a Yellow cross as in your illustrations? Also, what era would this shell be placed in if I carried the above out? Apologies for the many questions, I'm a stickler for accuracy!

Just one last question: This long body shell (378mm) is it a Gr.15 model or Gr.16? I've probably been told already but just to be sure!...
Many thanks again for the help, great information. I'll post pics when she's finished...

Last edited:
-same paint as examples but with cross in green : one cross opposite on each side + one on base.
-chemical filling used at the end of ww1 (called Grunkreuz 3)
-I don't know other designation than 10.5cm L.F.H.GR. for this 378mm shell (Gr 15 is for the short HE 346mm).

-same paint as examples but with cross in green : one cross opposite on each side + one on base.
-chemical filling used at the end of ww1 (called Grunkreuz 3)
-I don't know other designation than 10.5cm L.F.H.GR. for this 378mm shell (Gr 15 is for the short HE 346mm).

Many thanks MINENAZ16,
Appreciate the response and info as ever.
Cheers!

the 10,5 cm Grünkreuz 3 shells had the cross and a small "3" on the base.

Many thanks for the additional info Alpini, appreciated.
Do you know if any photo's exist of such a shell, whether in a museum or held privately? I can't recall ever seeing an original condition German gas shell in the flesh, only drawn illustrations or relic restorations.
Many thanks again!

Here are some examples of original cartridge cases from the 7.7cm Yellow, Green and Blue cross projectiles.

7.7cm cartridge with markings 2.jpg7.7cm cartridge with markings.jpg7.7cm cartridge with markings 3.jpg

Hi
Most of the documents mention a green cross on the base and not on the body itself for the green cross 3 which is yellow cross 1.
A shell of 10 cm Gr 15 with a green cross on the body represented in a French document is an error with regard to the text written in insert.
We know that the shell green cross regardless of the caliber does not present two green cross on the body but only one to the base.
Only one document for my knowledge will however mention a possibility of presence of these cross painted however it would be the exception.
I ask the simple question here: Who to the written knowledge that green cross shells have the so-called green crosses painted on the body and the base at the same time ....
Thanks in advance

Many thanks for the info and images from all involved.

Just one last question: Looking at the fuzes used on 10.5cm gas shells, would it be true to say that gas shells had a particular fuze fitted depending on the gas content used? I ask because I only have a HZ14 fb fuze available, not a HZ16 or E.K.Z.16, and would like to represent a gas shell with the shell and fuze I have, hence the Green cross preference. Just out of curiosity, were Yellow cross shells ever fitted with HZ 14 fb fuzes? All references I have found suggest only HZ 16 or E.K.Z 16....

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Not really my field but fantastic images anyway:
Month and year, fairly obvious.
AEG = Allgemeine Electricitaets Gesellschaft (German equivalent of GEC)
Polte Magdeburg = Polte Armaturen und Maschinen Fabrik, Magdeburg
WMF = A German tableware company founded in 1853 in Geislingen an der Steige.

As for the other stamps - they will have to be clarified by someone who knows more than I am prepared to guess.

I am still using my WMF knives and forks daily, despite them being over 70 years old!