What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help on Rhodesian Rap-1 "Carrot" mine

Kosta_g

Hello, everyone.
The net has almost no information on the item of interest to me, with the exception of one source: Human Rights Watch Arms Project, Still Killing: Landmines in Southern Africa (New York: Human Rights Watch, 1997).
Other available sources are secondary.

On HRW Report says the following:
"With South African technical assistance the Rhodesiansdeveloped their own landmine production capacity and began using the RhodesiaRAP No.1 (nicknamed Carrot Mine) and RAP No.2 (nicknamed Adams Grenade). TheseRhodesian mines were more dangerous to handle and equally hazardous to produce.Carrot Mines were produced by Cobrine Engineering, which was run by a United Statescitizen. Local production of these mines reduced costs from R$57 for importedmines to R$2.60 of which R$2.40 was local content. The production process wasso dangerous that following a spate of accidents the Rhodesians closed theoperation down and relied mainly on supplies of landmines from South Africa inthe last years of the war."

The only found image of a RAP-1: https://fatfox9.net/2014/10/19/cordon-sanitaire-personal-experiences-2-vic-thackwray/
286608_original.jpg

If I understand correctly, the RAP-1 is a simplified copy of the British Anti-personnel mine No.6 the same nicknamed:
286263_800.jpg

Here http://www.nolandmines.com/explosive_hazards/explosivesinmines.html it says that explosive content of RAP-1 is 8 oz (140 g) of pentolite.
Later in Zimbabwe was continued production of a crude copy of RAP-1 that named ZAP-1:
288111_1000.jpg

That's all, in general.
I don't have any details on how the mine works, probably the same as the British prototype, but who knows?
On the only image I drew a sketch:
300479_800.jpg

Can anyone give more details? I would be much appreciated for your help.

"Stolen" from Jane's ...

Description.

The RAP/ZAp N0 1 is an obsolete minimum-metal mine based on the design of the British No 6 Anti-Personnel (AP) 'Carrot Mine'. The initials RAP (Rhodesian Anti-Personnel) were later replaced with ZAP when the country was renamed Zimbabwe. The mine basically consists of two halves: the fuze assembly and a tubular body containing the main charge. The fuze, designated R2M1, uses a spring-loaded striker retained by three balls within an outer collar. This is the same fuze mechanism as used in the South African R2M1 and R2M2 AP mines. The striker is made from red plastic with a small sharp firing pin set into it. The hollow centre of the striker contains a small stainless steel spring. During transit, the head of the fuze is protected by a safety cap; as a secondary safety measure, a split pin secures the plunger to prevent movement. The detonator, in a thin plastic sleeve, protrudes from the threaded portion on the base of the fuze assembly. The mine body has a central threaded well to accept the fuze and detonator and a pointed base to allow it to be pushed into the ground. The live mine was shipped fully assembled and is normally coloured brown with a red sealing collar around the base of the fuze.

Operational details

Operation Once the mine has been buried, the safety cap is removed; the safety pin is then extracted remotely using a lanyard to arm the mine. Pressure on the plunger is transferred to the collar around the striker, compressing the striker spring until the retaining balls are allowed to escape: only 4 mm of movement is required to actuate the mechanism. The striker is released onto a small LZY detonator, which relays the blast to the 8D detonator to initiate the main charge. The quantity and power of explosive in this mine generally results in very serious injuries that have often proved fatal.

ZAP-No1_03.gifZAP-No1_05.jpg

Photo and sketch.

Attachments

• B8810B62-ADB5-4E65-9BDB-60A9BC77B2B3.jpeg
    B8810B62-ADB5-4E65-9BDB-60A9BC77B2B3.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 06757D63-2B37-4128-9F03-F6D72F405852.jpeg
    06757D63-2B37-4128-9F03-F6D72F405852.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Is this one or am i way off target here it says on the top MINE AP No6 IMITATION MK2 NP. 10 55 and appears to be made of bakelite sorry for poor quality fotos

Attachments

• 100_4779.jpg
    100_4779.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_4781.jpg
    100_4781.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 18